2010 Rate of Return: 17.0% (S&P 500 was 14.72% Total Return)
2009 Rate of Return: 29.4% (S&P 500 was 26.46% Total Return)

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Today is the day to sell!

At last! I've been wanting to take some profits for the last few days but needed to wait until today because I bought some stock on November 16 when the S&P 500 got down to 1178 and I always wait at least one month to change direction to avoid any excessive trading problems, and because its just a good idea. At the moment the S&P 500 is 1240 (after hours update: it closed at 1242.87), nearly the highest number for the year. Time to take profits. But as I never do anything sudden, I am only moving 1% (as always) of my total portfolio out of stocks and into stable value. Because stocks have been climbing so much in the last 2 or 3 months, this still leaves me slightly over 90% in stocks. This means that if stocks go up even more, I still stand to profit (and will sell some more) and if stocks go down considerably, I've got a cash reserve to use for more buying.

Year-to-date return: 15.6%

First time here?

1 comment: